The Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library provides excellent resources to assist fourth graders and their parents with the California Mission projects. The following e-books and websites offer a great place to start your research.
Simply click on a Mission name, to access its e-book, and use the tool bar at the top to turn the pages, search for terms and zoom in or out.
Link and year
- Mission La Purisima Concepción, 1787
- Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, 1791
- Mission San Antonio de Padua, 1771
- Mission San Buenaventura, 1782
- Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo, 1770
- Mission San Diego de Alcala, 1769
- Mission San Fernando, Rey de España, 1797
- Mission San Francisco de Asis, 1776
- Mission San Francisco de Solano, 1823
- Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, 1771
- Mission San Jose, 1797
- Mission San Juan Bautista, 1797
- Mission San Juan Capistrano, 1776
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, 1772
- Mission San Luis Rey de Francia, 1798
- Mission San Miguel Arcangel, 1797
- Mission San Rafael Arcangel, 1817
- Mission Santa Barbara, 1786
- Mission Santa Clara de Asis, 1777
- Mission Santa Cruz, 1791
- Mission Santa Ines, 1804
Recommended Mission Web Pages
California Missions Resource Center is a comprehensive online resource for historical information on the twenty-one California Missions. The website contains important key facts, images, historic drawings, slide-shows, architectural drawings of the churches, an illustrated description and history of Native Californians and other reference materials for each mission. A unique feature of the site is its "Ask the Expert" section which contains answers to specific questions and allows students to submit their own questions.
MissionTour provides “virtual tours” of all of the twenty-one California Missions, complete with history, full-color photographs and descriptions, and the hours and contact information for each of the Missions.
CMSA is a scholarly association dedicated to the research and preservation of the California Missions. Their website contains an illustrated glossary of terms, contact information for the missions and an extensive website bibliography with links to additional information about the missions and Native Californians.