Rules of Conduct
The Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library is a public facility open to all. It is our intention to provide library visitors with good service in a pleasant, quiet and tidy atmosphere.
- Talk in soft tones only. To avoid disturbing other library patrons, silence electronic devices. Each person is responsible for proper behavior to ensure a respectful atmosphere.
- Talking is not allowed in the Quiet Room, which is near the Reference Desk on the first floor.
- No eating or drinking except water, except for babies and toddlers and except at approved meetings in the Friends Room.· Smoking is prohibited in the building (Monterey Park Municipal Code Section 6.20.010) or within 20 feet of any entrance.
- The care, safety and behavior of minor children visiting the library are the responsibility of the parent or guardian. The library does not act in loco parentis. Children younger than nine years of age cannot be left unattended in the library. Any child younger than nine years of age left unattended in the library will have the parent or guardian called to come pick up the child. If staff cannot contact such a person, the police will be contacted to take custody of the child. If at closing there is any child younger than thirteen years of age left unattended, staff will call the police to take custody of the child.
- Damage, destruction or theft of library property is prohibited. Calif. Education Code Section 19910: “Any person who maliciously cuts, tears, defaces, breaks, or injures any book, map, chart, picture, engraving, statue, coin, model, apparatus, or other work of literature, art, mechanics, or objects of curiosity, deposited in any public library, museum, collection, fair, or exhibition, is guilty of a misdemeanor. The parent or guardian of a minor . . . shall be liable for all damages so caused by the minor.” Leaving the library with materials that have not been properly checked out will be considered library theft. People who trigger the library’s security system will be required to open bags, purses, briefcases, backpacks, etc. and to allow inspection of strollers, wheelchairs, etc.
- No skateboarding or roller blading (Monterey Park Municipal Code Section 13.12.060).
- Do not leave personal belongings unattended. The library is not responsible for the security of personal belongings. Personal belongings may not obstruct free movement in aisles or use of the library and its equipment. Any personal belongings left unattended will be taken to the Circulation Desk.
- Physical, sexual or verbal abuse or harassment is prohibited. Using offensive words that are inherently likely to disrupt, disturb or otherwise impede orderly preservation or conduct of library services and usage is prohibited.
- Loitering is prohibited. California Penal Code Section 653g states that “Every person who loiters about any school or public place at or near which children attend or normally congregate . . . is a vagrant, and is punishable by a fine of not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both such fine and imprisonment.”
- Animals may not be brought into the library except for licensed guide or service animals or for library programs.
- Disruptive behavior such as fighting, shoving, running or throwing objects or any conduct that interferes with the use of the library by others or with the functioning of the library staff is prohibited.
- C Panhandling, begging, distributing or selling merchandise is prohibited in the library. Gathering of signatures for petitions within the library is prohibited.
- These rules are intended to maintain the library=s pleasant atmosphere, facilitate library usage and preserve easy access to library materials. Appropriate action will be taken when these rules are not observed including requiring the person to leave the library or calling the police.
Policy Number: 96-05
Issue Date: August 8, 1996
Revised Date: September 17, 2002, August 21, 2006, January 21, 2008
Library Board of Trustees' Approval